(Toronto, ON) MediaSmarts and the Canadian Teachers’ Federation, in collaboration with Facebook Canada, are launching the 9th annual Media Literacy Week on November 3, 2014 at the Facebook Canada office in Toronto. The event will feature youth speakers who are doing amazing projects using social networking platforms. Their inspirational work includes promoting volunteerism in their communities, advocating for global change, spreading positive and accessible sexual health information and helping build networks for mental health support.
High school students from the Toronto area will attend the event along with youth from across Canada who will join in through a live stream.
Attending students will also take part in hands-on workshops hosted by #FeedtheDeed and Facebook Canada, Ladies Learning Code, Mozilla, National Film Board of Canada and Twitter Canada.
Youth speakers include:
- Rob Dyer, Founder, Dream Love Cure
- Samantha-Maria Figueroa, Simarjeet Gill, Jennifer Pazdor and Stephanie Zabar, Save Our Minds
- Isabel Carlin, Social Media Volunteer, Planned Parenthood Toronto
- Harnoor Gill, Founder, Peace Welcome Club
- Brennan Wong, Founder, Pledges for Change
- Morgan Baskin, Toronto Mayoral Candidate
Facebook Canada, 2300 Yonge Street, 14th Floor, Toronto, ON
Monday November 3, 2014
9:00 am – 10:00 am (Speakers)
10:00 am – 12:00pm (Workshops)
Youth speakers will be available one-on-one interviews following the speaking portion of the event (10:00 am).
Please confirm your attendance with: Maya Shoucair, MediaSmarts, 613-224-7721 x 231, firstname.lastname@example.org