A teacher who is interested in teaching in another province/territory should begin the process well ahead of the commencement of the school year. The first requirement is to obtain an evaluation from the department of education in the new province/territory. All teachers must apply to the appropriate agency for verification of their standing and eligibility for certification, and will be required to submit appropriate documentation including official transcripts, birth certificate and in some cases, a health certificate. For further information, see the links to Certification Regulations by Province/Territories below.

Where an applicant does not satisfy all of the requirements, a provisional certificate may be granted for a given period of time so that the teacher has an opportunity to successfully complete any outstanding academic or professional requirements. Further details on required qualifications can be found at Agreement-in-Principle Labour Mobility Chapter of the Agreement on Internal Trade/Teaching Profession (PDF format).